Coronavirus and the ISU Seed Lab
The ISU Seed Lab is open for all seed testing!
Some questions have been raised regarding whether the ISU Seed Lab will remain open during the current coronavirus outbreak. It is our intent to follow University policy and we are closely monitoring the ISU Coronavirus Update page. The Lab is open and we are continuing to accept new orders for all tests.
The health and welfare of our team is of primary importance and we are taking many precautions to limit spread. This involves frequent sanitation of equipment and surfaces and moving some tests from regular lab spaces to our more expansive training and lecture facility so that we can accommodate the recommended six-foot distance, at a minimum, between co-workers. This also includes reduced or alternate work schedules and having staff work from home where possible. As a result, you may experience some temporary delays or inconvenience in the coming days.
We will continue to closely monitor guidelines as they become available and will inform you if anything changes. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Together, we can get through this and get the job done!
More than 100 Years of Excellence in Seed Testing and Customer Service
Housed in the Seed Science Center on the Iowa State University campus, and directed by Dr. Manjit Misra, the Seed Laboratory has a proud history of excellence in seed testing, training, and customer service dating back more than 100 years. From the early research of George Washington Carver, to today's biotech seeds that feed, fuel, and supply the world, Iowa State University has time and again proven itself as a leader.
At the Iowa State University Seed Laboratory, we are not only proud of this heritage of excellence, but are pleased to offer cutting-edge seed analysis technologies and services. Our broad range of testing options, high throughput of samples, accurate results, and unmatched customer service—combined with our years of experience and expert staff—make us a leader in the seed testing industry.
The Iowa State University Seed Lab
- Is the largest public seed testing laboratory in the world
- Offers testing services for more than 300 species of crops, vegetables, flowers, and trees
- Tests for more than 350 pathogens (fungi, bacteria, and viruses)
- Employs staff certified in purity, germination, and testing of biotech traits
- Is a reputable industry source for workshops and short courses on seed quality and conditioning
- Utilizes the resources of Iowa State University experts in the fields of agronomy, horticulture, plant pathology, entomology, and more
- Has served as an industry leader in testing, research, and in offering workshops for more than 100 years